- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 40–50 saltine crackers (enough to cover the baking sheet)
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional, such as pecans or almonds)
- Sea salt for sprinkling (optional)
Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil, making sure it extends over the edges for easy removal.
Arrange the Saltine Crackers:
- Place the saltine crackers in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet, ensuring they cover the entire surface.
Make the Toffee Layer:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and brown sugar together, stirring constantly.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and let it boil for 3-4 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
Pour Toffee over Saltines:
- Pour the hot toffee mixture over the arranged saltine crackers, spreading it evenly with a spatula to coat them completely.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for about 8-10 minutes or until the toffee layer becomes bubbly and caramelized.
Add Chocolate Layer:
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the hot toffee-covered saltines.
- Let them sit for a couple of minutes until the chocolate softens.
Spread the Chocolate:
- Once the chocolate chips have softened, use a spatula or the back of a spoon to spread the melted chocolate evenly over the toffee layer.
Optional: Add Nuts and Sea Salt:
- If desired, sprinkle chopped nuts over the melted chocolate layer.
- Additionally, a light sprinkle of sea salt can enhance the flavors.
Chill to Set:
- Place the entire baking sheet in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or until the toffee and chocolate have completely set.
Break into Pieces:
- Once set, remove the saltine toffee from the refrigerator.
- Lift the parchment paper or foil to easily transfer the entire sheet onto a cutting board.
- Break the toffee into bite-sized pieces.
Serve and Enjoy:
- Arrange the Saltine Toffee pieces on a serving plate.
- These sweet and salty treats are ready to be enjoyed!
- Experiment with different toppings like shredded coconut, crushed candy canes, or drizzles of white chocolate for added flavor and decoration.
This Saltine Toffee recipe, often referred to as Christmas Crack, combines the sweet crunch of toffee and chocolate with the salty kick of saltine crackers. It’s an irresistible treat perfect for holiday gatherings or any time you crave a delightful sweet-and-salty snack!